THE WRITING CLUB
Today is the day you are going to take action. Your child’s writing needs attention and you know it…
Any of this sound familiar?
(raise your hand if it does)
You’re worried about the impact of lockdown on your child’s writing.
Your child fears the blank page and struggles to get started.
Your child writes as they speak to their friends. All slang and no precision.
Your child's handwriting needs attention and their sentences are confused.
Wave goodbye to all of that
Give me just 15 minutes per week of your child’s time. And I will transform their writing.
The Writing Club is for 7 to 12 year olds and you will see a huge uplift in confidence and technique from the very beginning.
A 5-minute introduction. One short, carefully designed task. Individual and considered teacher attention.
You shared your writing worries…
When I asked parents to share their feelings about their children’s writing. Here’s what they told me:
- Since lockdown, as much as some try at home, I do feel that his writing skills have dwindled.
- He has poor grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, vocabulary and spelling.
- He hates writing and doesn’t know how to get started.
- I suppose I would like her to learn how to produce a piece of writing that can tick all the boxes.
- My concern is his handwriting. He simply won’t accept that it is really messy – it is almost like it is too late.
- My son’s imagination and use of vocabulary is very good, but his grammar and spelling let him down.
- The biggest issue with writing we have found is getting her to do what’s been asked for and not procrastinate about the task.
- I would say she needs help being more descriptive and imaginative in her writing.
- His writing style is very chatty and filled with slang; he writes as if he were telling a story to his mates and unfortunately grammar and correct English takes a back seat. For example, he will finish a sentence with phrases like ‘and all’ and ‘the lot’.
So THIS IS WHAT I’VE INCLUDED:
a tightly-constructed task
A short, engaging lesson introduction. Video delivery (can be played back in their own time) to a tightly-constructed task.
Live teaching of the weekly lesson on zoom. Children ask questions, clarify their understanding and share their ideas.
This process is called ‘scaffolding’. Precise vocabulary and structure is provided to banish fear of the blank page.
Personal, individual feedback
Every single week your child will receive a personal video where their own work is sensitively and positively marked.
Access to our library
All our writing resources and videos of previous how-to lessons are available to use at the click of a mouse.
Just ask me a question when you upload your child’s work, and I will answer it personally in the video feedback.
And how do parents rate the personal video marking and feedback?
“By the way, we LOVE your video feedbacks…SO useful.”
We wanted to thank you Hayley for all the support and guidance you gave to help our son with his English. Your calm approach was encouraging and reassuring. He has been really enjoying it since his return to school and has won several of his class writing competitions. This is such a huge change so thank you!
Thank you very much for this. Love the video approach and Joseph was really chuffed with it. I know that he is more interested in a video message than a written comment (kids and technology!!)
The improvement in his handwriting in only 2 months has been incredible and he is feeling much more confident about it so thank you for everything!
Lovely feedback, thank you Hayley. This has been a real boost to her.
Thank you for doing this. She’s really excited about receiving the next one!
Why do I have such a record of dramatically improving children’s writing?
Well it’s all down to my passion for the job and my particular background
20 years + teaching experience. I've developed strategies To fix every single writing issue I've come across.
My four-year degree in education from Cambridge University (with Hons).
The seasons I spent marking Year 6 English SATs papers for the Edexel Exam Board.
I’ve gone out of my way to learn from inspirational speakers (Poet Laureate Simon Armitage being the most recent).
The 10 years I’ve spent running Griffin Teaching. In addition to being responsible for 500+ children’s Kent Test 11+ passes, my students have gained places at super-selectives and top public and private schools across London and the South East.
I’m naturally positive and always see the best in children and their work.
How does it work?
• A new 5 minute lesson is published every week (5 minute video presentation with supporting resources linked below).
• This same task will be taught live TWICE on zoom in the week and your child can attend either or both of these sessions.
• In the live session, or independently, your child completes a short writing task. This should take 10-15 minutes in the Writing Club and 15-20 minutes in the Higher Level Writing Club.
• Snap a scan or photo of their work with your phone and attach it to the upload button on the lesson page. If you have a private question you would like me to answer in person, there is a space for this on the form.
• Friday is feedback day. I will open any work you have sent to me and tape your child a personal video, answering any questions there too. There is no obligation to keep up with every task. Any work uploaded will be given my full consideration.
• Three times a year I will send you a detailed report on your child’s progress.
what do i need to provide?
What makes the writing club so special?
Easy. It’s the mix of these three strengths:
• We care so much about our pupils (and their worried parents).
• Progression is at the heart of all our teaching. It’s exciting to enable children and to watch their confidence soar.
• Years of experience and attention to the detail of children’s writing is behind every single task and word of encouragement.
Should I choose the higher level writing club?
THE WRITING CLUB is a manageable weekly model (15 – 20 minutes total) where the focus is on technical detail. All feedback is personal and directly addressed to your child. One task is set weekly, but if you can’t make it that week, the content and personal marking is all set up and can be picked up again at any time.
THE HIGHER-LEVEL WRITING CLUB is as above, but the task is extended (20 – 30 minutes total). Any child is welcome to join at the higher level if interested in more challenging content and a slightly longer task. The club is most suitable for children approaching an exam where they will be asked to produce a high-scoring writing sample, or those who simply wish to achieve an ‘exceeding’ assessment in school.
What do we achieve?
It’s the presentation that you will notice first. Their letter formation and choice of vocabulary improves. Sentences are well-formed and there is a new formality about their work.
Every single week your child will take a step forward. Sometimes a small step and sometimes a giant leap…
Why choose us over a 1-2-1 tutor?
• Your child will have direct access to expert teaching and one-to-one advice, for a fraction of the price of a personal tutor.
• This is authentic writing teaching. It is not typed work we are assessing, but real tasks completed with pen and paper.
• We really care about our pupils and create detailed weekly video feedback, in addition to a termly record of progression via email.
• We are a small band of experienced teachers who have worked together for years and trust each other’s judgement. Few can match our knowledge of the subject or attention to detail.
• Underneath we are anxious parents just like you, who have given our own children booster lessons and watched them fly…
Why don’t we assess children first?
There’s little point testing children on what they have or haven’t learnt already from somebody else. Each child works at their own level and feedback is specific to their needs. They can jump in at any time and their work will improve immediately.
What does it cost?
The Writing Club costs £29 per month (including VAT).
The Higher-Level Writing Club for more confident writers costs £39 per month (including VAT).
take the next step
Writing Club Membership
£29 per month
This club will build, lift and extend your child’s writing skills and techniques.
Concise weekly writing task
Detailed, personal marking and feedback
Personal response to any questions
Higher-level Writing club membership
£39 per month
This club challenges confident writers to create high-scoring writing for different purposes.
Extended weekly writing task
Detailed, personal marking and feedback
Personal response to any questions
no notice period or deposit
Of course, I want you to love this club and to enthuse about your child’s fantastic writing progression.
If you don’t feel that the club is working for you, please contact me and I will go the extra mile to address any concerns you might have directly, and improve your child’s experience.
But no problem if it isn’t for you. You can stop your payment immediately. There is no notice period, contract or obligation (and we take our data protection responsibilities very seriously too).