What is dyslexia and how do you know if your child has it?

by | Jun 25, 2015 | Behaviour, Parents, Reading & comprehension, Schools & teachers, Uncategorized | 0 comments

Many parents worry that labelling their child as dyslexic might not be good for their self-esteem, or that it may even encourage them to give up on their reading and accept that school work is always going to be a struggle.

Having taught a number of children before and after a diagnosis of dyslexia, I would urge you not to worry and to tackle the issue head-on. I have seen children who have battled with low confidence feel liberated by their diagnosis. Often the expert Educational Psychologist who has carried out their assessment notes a number of positive and reassuring observations as part of their report, so the parents and child begin to understand that there is a specific learning difficulty present. Post diagnosis, with the right kind of support, great progress can be made and academic achievement turned around.

Click on this clear NHS link for the symptoms of dyslexia at various developmental stages:

NHS Symptoms of Dyslexia

If you have concerns about your child, your first port of call should be the school. Explain your concerns and find out whether the class teacher agrees.

Read my previous blog on how to manage the process with your child’s school:

Click here for What if my child has a specific learning difficulty

If the school is unable to support you and you still have concerns, it is possible to get a private assessment done. Here is a local recommendation:

Dyslexia Assessments

Mrs Shobha Coutinho
MSc (Dyslexia) AMBDA, SpLD AssessmentPractisingCertificate,CCET (Level A)
Diagnostic Assessments for children/adults + Assessments for University – DSA

Email:  testdyslexia@gmail.com

Once a formal assessment has been made, you should find:

1) Teachers are more sympathetic to your child when he or she is experiencing difficulties with concentration or comprehension.

2) Your child is given the right kind of support in school (resource-permitting)

3) Your child may be allowed extra time, a scribe or a reader in public examinations (including SATs and the 11+).